Monday, September 8, 2008

Sausalito Wine

Yesterday I woke with one of my top-ten all-time greatest hangovers. I put five calls through to Rodger on the big white telephone before before managing to down a bottle of Jamaican ginger ale and a bagel.

At around 4pm the the 5th we drove over the Golden Gate bridge and into San Francisco. I was a little nervous as I always am when driving into a big foreign city. We found our hotel then walked to Chinatown for dinner. The next morning we set off down Lombard to see the crookedest street in the world. Next stop was Fisherman's Wharf where we went to Hooters, as I'd never been and Kat is a fan, for elevensees. Peir 39 at Fisherman's Wharf is populated with a horde of loud, stinking Sea Lions. Watching them was fascinating and reminiscent of any episode of Big Brother. The afternoon was spent vintage shopping in the Haight/Ashbury area. We even visited a house where the Grateful Dead lived in their early years.



We crossed the Golden Gate bridge again to Sausalito where we met Rob, our Couchsurfing host on his way to the party next door. We settled in to our room, showered, then joined the party. The soiree was an annual bash held by a wine merchant. I drank some of the best wines I think I ever will including a 1975 bordello and a 1979 pinot but I don't think a single bottle drank was worth under eighty dollars. Although it was a wine party there was no pretension, only connoisseurs imbibing until the cops turned up at 3am. I know this is an exclusive neighbourhood but there were only four of us drinking on the porch, no music.

I paid for it the next day.

No comments: