Sunday, August 24, 2008

Welcome

The drama begins. Mick Elliot and I drive to Kelowna airport on a Thursday night expecting to meet Kat. The flight from Vancouver has arrived and I'm anxiously waiting by the arrivals gate. I scan from face to face as each appears from around the corner. I double check my phone. I told Kat to call if she missed the flight. The stream of people is thinning. Then the captain walks by. No Kat. Hmm. Did I book her connecting flight correctly? I have been known to book my own flights a month away from when I want them. Did I send her to Kamloops? The internet kiosk at the airport has an out of order sign on it. I swipe my visa to make sure. It is indeed out of order. It's ten thirty at night. There are no Air Canada representatives left in the building. I decide to drive back to Vernon where we were planning to stay with my family.

As I burst through the door and start to double check the flight booking she calls. Finally. The Air China flight from Taipei to Vancouver was delayed and she missed her flight. I'm surprised they let her in at all. Its really not a good idea to give cheek to the immigration official.
"What's that fiddle for?"
"Is that any of your business."
She got in, discovered crying at a Vancouver International Airport will not get you any attention or assistance, re-booked a flight for the next morning (after arguing with the woman at the booth) and caught a shuttle to the hotel. Then called me. I picked her up next morning with a strange sense of deja vu. I was almost convinced she would not walk off the flight.

No comments: